Fast and Easy ways to declutter for Springtime
Springtime is my favorite time of year when the sun shines, the days get longer, the flowers bloom and it’s my birthday. Springtime is a time to clean out, clean up, and declutter our selves spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically. It is the time of rebirth and putting a bit of spring into our step.
As Oprah wrote about in her latest issue of Oprah Magazine, “it is time to declutter.”
A terrific way to start March. Following are a couple of suggestions on bringing more health, joy, and good feeling into your life both in business and at home.
Clean out closets, file cabinets, boxes, junk drawers, and email inboxes.
Clothes: Make a pile to give away, sell to consignment or repair/tailor
- Get rid of anything that you haven’t worn in a year
- Get rid of anything you don’t like, doesn’t make you feel good, or doesn’t look good on you—Be brutal!
- Organize your clothes by color and toss half the black sweaters that don’t fit right.
- · Throw away the old files that aren’t critical (ie. Financial and tax documents). If you haven’t used it in 2 years clean it out and only keep the most important
- · Work files are often useless after 1 year. If you can get it on the computer, internet or web get rid of it. It only holds you down
- · Pretend you just lost everything in an earthquake or flood, what do you really wish you still had?
Photos and Tschotkes:
- Go through old photo albums and choose 5-10 good pictures from each album. Store them in a nice easy box that you can actually find and look at. Label carefully
- Make one album of all your kids of only the most important photos
- Organize your online photos so they can be seen and used. Make a book or put some in a computerized storage device- one photo container for 1,000 photos.
The Newest place to declutter is your email inbox.
- Start by sorting by name and deleting everything that isn't important or you have read.
- File important emails into folders and get them out of your inbox
- Repeat with the Send file
- Delete everything. If someone really wants something you will get another email. I promise!
Start with decluttering and get everyone involved. Make room for the sun to shine!