Holidays at Home
This year we are focusing on 3 things:
- Entertaining and Experimenting with new Vegetarian Dishes
- Hiking and yoga (for me)
- Reading, Relaxation, and Going Slow
- Organizing/Finishing Projects
Is that not the perfect way to spend time - rejuvenating, relaxing, and refocusing
Moving into our new home with open space, a dining room that doesn't require setting up long tables for more than 4 people, a sunny backyard for drinks at noon, and hiking out our backyard.
Using the new Vegetarian cookbook, The Heart of the Plate by Mollie Katzen (the author of Moosewood Cookbook) given to me by a secret santa at work, I'm venturing into
- Place egglplant halves into a skillet with oil and curry powder until it is browned.
- Remove and in the pan place tumeric, corriander and diced onions. Sautee until soft
- Place over the eggplant, add pomegranate seeds and a dobble of greek yogurt.
Amazingly easy and my family loved it.
Tonight is Mushroom Barley Cashew Burgers.
- Cook the barley ahead of time as it takes about 1 hour
- Sautee, mushroom, onions, salt until trnslucent. Add in gralic and tbl of balsamic vinegar
- Transfer to the Barley misture (1 1/2 cup cooked barley)stir in two beaten eggs, 1/2 cup grated, chopped or torn mozzarella, 1/ 2 cup cashews, and 6 tblsp unbleached flour.
- Cook in hot skillet with (oil). Cook 5-8 minutes until golden brown. Turn over and cook 5-8 more minutes.
- Cook in batches until all batter is done.